I don’t like to use the word “hacked” to refer to unwanted system intrusion and unwanted system change, but that is the word everyone understands. See my post “on my frequent use of the word ‘hacker’” for an explanation of my objection. I prefer the term “cracked” instead.
Anyway someone recently cracked my Transgender Resources Page earlier today. Fortunately I discovered the breach promptly and the fix proved easy.
However it reminded me to diligently update my security software, my Linux kernel, and my blog/wiki software immediately following update releases.
The cracker did not apparently object to my content, they merely replaced my wiki’s main page with link spam. However I’m likely to attract those hostile to my material in the future and need to stand vigilant.
If you are curious, here is what my main page looked like immediately following the attack. Note all the link spam:
After the fix, the main page redirects to the “Transgender Resources” page:
After my repair, going to the main wiki page delivers:
Unfortunately, I’m using a current copy of MediaWiki, so a possible security update would not help. However, I discovered that you can “protect” pages:
We’ll see how well this works.