In my recent post, “artificial intelligence in fashion (part one: brainstorming)“, I produced a list of big ideas on how machine learning and artificial intelligence may be applied to the fashion industry. I addressed sizing, marketing, and design activities when brainstorming this list.
This post doesn’t specifically cover an artificial intelligence solution, but it lays groundwork that I need in place to get to an AI-based style recommendation engine based on body shapes that I’d like to build. Essentially, most fashion dictums take the form of IF-THEN-ELSE rules, where the IF clause generally starts with specifying one’s body shape.
So I needed a way for many individuals at once to determine their body shape, which led to creation of a web-based body shape calculator, pictured below. Several of these already exist, but I really needed my own for my AI project for the following reasons:
- I can include this work into larger AI software pipelines.
- Cannot easily include others’ tools, by comparison.
- I understand the computational method behind what I’m offering.
- Others’ tools are black boxes.
- The computation method I used comes from academic literature, so it is peer-reviewed.
- I can show ads to users to generate some cash flow.
Here is a picture of the web-application I created for this task. Click here to use the application!
Brainstorming as usual:
- Fashion dictums involve many IF-THEN-ELSE rules. One can convert this into a decision engine (inference engine).
- User specifies their body shape, and a recommendation engine selects suitable clothing for them, taking into account the user’s tastes.
- Upload an image of a dress you want to buy, and specify the dress’s given size. At the same time, upload your measurements. The algorithm then tells you the likelihood of fit.
- Upload your measurements. The algorithm searches for clothes that fit well.
- Upload your measurements. The algorithm searches for clothes that flatter your body shape.
- User submits 10+ images of dresses they like, with the option to add more. Moreover, they submit their measurements. The algorithm then designs dresses for them.
- Automate difficult design tasks. My model here is the AI drummer in GarageBand which provides very sophisticated beats, and which I use in all my songs.
- Enhance design. Algorithms can produce combinations that have not been thought of before. Here I envision designer as “pilot” and algorithm as “vehicle”.
- Create fiber optic dresses that light up responsively to movement, such that the changes in lighting accentuate curves.
If you would like to collaborate with me to these or similar ideas happen, I’m an extremely experienced data scientist and would love to work with you! Please contact me through Facebook if you are interested.
AI-Driven Fashion Show
Holding a fashion show for AI-created styles sounds fabulous!
See what tools exist already. See what APIs exist. Determine if measurement statistics are known. Investigate the Computer Science and Home Economics academic literature.
What data is out there?
body shape calculator